Charlotte, NC asked in Family Law for North Carolina

Q: My son is 4 going on 5 months, and I have been trying to work with his father since he came into his life

(he wasn’t present during the time i was pregnant) to avoid having to go to court and deal with child support, he has been helping since January by buying things that our son needs however that quickly came to a stop 2 months later so every now and then he’d send $75 dollars for pampers and formula since I was denied for WIC and we both take turns paying my mother $160 a week for child care. I recently just informed him that he will be in child support and he insists to say in return that he will not be paying for our son’s child care since I have already filed for child support. My question is now that he knows about child support and refuses to continue to pay even though it hasn’t been fully processed does this mess up any chances for now seeking more help? or will the court see that he stopped prior to getting child support because i’ll be the one paying for everything now that he say he doesn’t have too?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: His only legal obligation is to pay court ordered child support based on guidelines. Other than that, you can't legally force him to do anything else. His refusal to pay anything other than that, besides making him a giant jerk, will likely be helpful to you in seeking additional help. Hopefully you get awarded back child support for the past 5 months.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.