Perrysburg, OH asked in Immigration Law, Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Ohio

Q: Can a permanent resident get emancipated without fear of deportation?

I’m a minor who wants to be emancipated when I graduate at 17 and 4 months old. My father and I are permanent residents. If I can completely support myself by graduation and petition the court for emancipation, will I have a chance for them to allow it? Will I be an illegal immigrant then because I am no longer my fathers dependent? Or will I have the opportunity to go through the citizenship process? Thank you very much.

2 Lawyer Answers
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Ohio does not provide for emancipation in most situations. Here is more information:

When you turn 18, you are then legally an adult. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to consult a local immigration attorney about your status.

Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: You are not in danger of losing your permanent residence if you emancipate yourself. If your father becomes a citizen after you emancipate but before you turn 18, you will not automatically become a citizen.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.