Lake City, FL asked in Probate for Tennessee

Q: My Family owns a small piece of property on the Nolachuckie river. The property has not been probated since 2001 when

My father passed. My Mother passed away in 2017. My two brothers and myself are her beneficiaries (will). How do we get property in our names & cost. We live in Florida.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You did not say whether the Mother's Will was Probated or not. If it was, and the Parents owned the real property as Tenants By The Entirety, then those Will Divisees are owners or their Heirs. A copy of the Probated Will should then be recorded in the appropriate County. If no Probate then you need an Affidavit of Heirship recorded in the County where the Property is. Hire a competent Tennessee attorney to record a source of title.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.