Lakeland, FL asked in Landlord - Tenant and Animal / Dog Law for Florida

Q: renters insurance coverage to avoid landlord removing pitbull

I have already spoke with State Farm and have been informed that if my pitbull “goes off the rails” it will be fully covered in case of biting or anything and I will have my landlord added which leads me to can they still kick my dog out if I have them added and covered as well?

Bruce Alexander Minnick

• Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: As I opined here before, this solution is the best one--as far as you should be concerned. However, before you sign up and pay for all the new liability coverage, you should discuss all of this with your landlord--because they may not want to accept your solution to their problem.

Here is the (very harsh legal) bottom line: If your written lease prohibits pit bulls, and if your landlord refuses to waive that part of the written lease to allow you to have a pit bull--in exchange for your promise to indemnify them with adequate liability insurance coverage--you will still be in violation of the written lease. Go sit down with someone with authority at your landlord's office; and take your cute little puppy with you...; it might work.