Louisville, KY asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Indiana

Q: When a custody order is in place between the parents does that include the parents families as well?

My ex states that his parents have just as much legal right to visitation with our children as he does and he states that I have to follow the visitation order that is between him and I with them as well. The custody order has me down as the person with sole physical custody, he and I share legal custody due to a judges decision because their father lives in another state. It also stares in the court papers that the father get reasonable visitation and I can deny visitation in the instance of an unsafe situation. Do I have to give the grandparents the same courtesy or can I tell them no? Also if my children do go to see their grandparents can I tell them they are responsible for transportation since they want to come get them and drop them off when I am at work and have no one else to meet them? They are demanding that I meet them for drop off and pickup

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Mario Acosta Jr.
John Mario Acosta Jr.
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Based on the information you provided and the situation, the Father of your children has parenting time not grandparents, if he wants to allow visitation during his time he can, but you do not have to make accommodations just for them to visit with children unless specifically outlined in the agreement. With that said if it is in the best interest of the children to have time with their grandparents then they should be around them, but you do not have to make specific times for parenting time with them, that is between you and the Father unless the court ordered it to be that way.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.