Grand Island, NE asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Nebraska

Q: My son's mom is refusing to let me take our son anywhere, like the park or even to lunch without her and no court order

I'm currently on probation or a shoplifting charge I received 3 years ago and our son is almost four. I have no History of Violence and until recently have been the sole provider for him and her. She decided to move to a town 45 miles away, where I travel to at least three or four times a week to see him but she's making It my harder to enjoy my time with my son because of her attitude and now is saying I cannot take my son anywhere without her. She has nothing to base this on other than she is being spiteful. This is my only child but she has four who have been taken away from her but this was before we got together so I don't know everything behind that because I never spoke with her about it because it obviously is a sore subject. It seems like she is trying to make me pay for her past mistakes and I just want to know what I should do

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: If the parents can't agree on custody or parenting time, then it is time to file a custody action to ask the court to set a set schedule for custody and parenting time. If paternity hasn't been legally established, the father may need to file an action asap if the child is approaching 4 years old as the statute of limitations for paternity is 4 years. There is a possible work around to the 4 year limitation, but it is best just to file and serve the action before the child turns 4 years old.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.