Nashville, TN asked in Child Custody for Tennessee

Q: Do judges ever grant full custody back to a parent who currently has supervised visitation only?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul E. Tennison
Paul E. Tennison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: I am unaware of a case in which that has happened. I imagine there may have been some cases in which that has happened though. Tennessee child custody law is concerned with the best interest of the child. If the parent who currently only has supervised visitation can show changed circumstances that show full custody for him/her would be in the best interest of the child then a Court should award full custody. Obviously the reasons or previous court filings that show why the parent currently only has supervised visitation would be something the parent seeking additional custody would have to overcome.

If you are unsure about how to go about a civil suit to increase child custody, I recommend you consult with an experienced family law attorney. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.