Dallas, TX asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: What rights do we have?

My boyfriend has lived in the same house for just about 30 years now. It was signed over to his father by his grandfather, who then signed it over to his mother for back child support. He has never had to pay rent but has paid on the 3 mortgages against the house she has taken out.. she has not lived in the house in over 20 years. He has had the electric and plumbing redone in the entire house he has done all maintenance and upkeep and made many improvements inside and out. the septic system is over-flowing and needs work he had spoke with her several times and she won't have it fixed and tells him he better not touch it or have any one fix it. The property taxes are up to date and nothing is owed on the house he's kept it paid. Recently we received a certified letter from an attorney's office stating : notice to vacate that we are advised that our residence is terminated immediately and have 11 days to vacate. There's no lease nor ever has been. what rights do we have if any?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tammy Lyn Wincott
Tammy Lyn Wincott
  • San Antonio, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Your boyfriend may have established what's commonly referred to as a "tenant at will". The landlord/owner has to give 30 days notice to vacate. If a tenant refuses to vacate, the landlord/owner must then pursue an eviction proceeding through the courts.


Contact a real estate attorney familiar with tenants at will and eviction in the appropriate area.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.