Sacramento, CA asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Domestic Violence for California

Q: What's the best way to handle an invasive/dangerous neighbor ?

My neighbor throw large & heavy objects/rubbish into my backyard, talks & police didn't help. It was their son (mentally-challenged?) who needs more & closer supervision, his parents seemed NOT doing enough to prevent these "incidents" to happen. They damaged our plants, beddings...besides the littering to be taken care of. We've even canceled our July/4th vacation 'cause worries coming back with more destructions. We're afraid the situation would eventually worsen, becomes violent & someone will get hurt! Please advise & HELP!!!!

3 Lawyer Answers

Gary Kollin

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: First, i would install a surveillance recording camera to gather evidence

William John Light agrees with this answer

Dale S. Gribow

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: more info needed

if the police don't help, consider a civil lawsuit with a lawyer OR a small claims suit for up to $10k without a lawyer.

a $10k judgment will get their attention

Marc David Pelta and William John Light agree with this answer

Marc David Pelta

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Hire an attorney to send your neighbor a letter to resolve the problem. If you are unsuccessful then consider the other options stated by the other attorneys.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.