Odenton, MD asked in Family Law for Arizona

Q: Do I have to abide by a verbal parenting agreement devised by my wife’s?

Prior to our separation, my wife devised a parenting agreement to which I verbally agreed. She basically ignores the agreement as far as the days that I am supposed to have the kids and expects me to bend to her every whim. This is affecting my ability to work as a rideshare driver. She thinks my job has such flexibility that I can just simply not work when she needs childcare. Whenever the kids are with me, I have to pay babysitters so that I can work. She makes $85000 a year and I make $26000 a year. I cannot afford to not work.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: It is going to be difficult if not impossible to enforce a verbal parenting plan agreement. It would be in your best interest to file with the Court so you have an agreement you can actually enforce. I would recommend visiting the website for the specific county where you intend to file. There are self-help resources there to assist in drafting the necessary documents if you are unable to afford an attorney to guide you through the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.