Rochester, NY asked in Traffic Tickets for New York

Q: Does being out of state driver help me in anyway to plea not guilty for speeding ticket 1180D?

I am 25 years old with CA license with a clean record. Got pulled over for 91 mph in 65 mph on 7/4.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Zev Goldstein

  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Monsey, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: One of the ways this hurts you is that you may not know that the max fine is $300, but there is also a mandatory $93 surcharge and $300 state fee. You probably want to fight this ticket.

Eli Moore

  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Scarsdale, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: This is a 6 point violation. Even though you have a California license, if you are found guilty of this violation, the points would remain on your record in New York for 18 months. If you reach 11 points or 3 speeding convictions within an 18 month period you will lose your driving privileges in New York for a minimum of 30 days.

This conviction might get reported to both California DMV and your insurance company.

You should definitely plead not guilty and schedule a hearing. I would recommend hiring an attorney to represent you at the hearing. If you have an attorney, you do not need to appear.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.