Cartersville, GA asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets and Probate for Georgia

Q: My license were suspended due to FTA from a citation received in August 2017, but they weren't suspended until Feb 2017.

I was given a citation in August 2017, and missed my court date. I never received anything in the mail about court or even anything about my license being suspended a few months later. I've looked up the citation number online and it's nowhere to be found. My license was suspended February of 2018 but I didn't find out until this year when I went to go renew my license at the DMV. I was told that I've met the required amount of time to have them reinstated, but am wondering if I have to get a FTA release form before paying the fine to DDS.

Also, I have been pulled over while driving since I received the citation and since the date of my suspension, but the officer never said anything about my license being suspended. I have the paper from DDS stating that I have a FTA from the county but no record from the county of said citation and no record of a missed court date.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ecleynne Mercy
Ecleynne Mercy
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: TAKE CARE OF THE FTA.... IT NOT ONLY SUSPENDED YOUR LICENSE. YOU GOT A WHOLE WARRANT. You are going to have to pay the FTA or provide a good excuse to get potential fine excused. Take care of the FTA first or be in fear of warrants. I pray this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.