Houston, TX asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Texas

Q: I was live-in, sleep with (no sex), caretaker of man, 87 for 14 mo's. He died 7/2019 with All legal docs complete.

I'm not in legal docs. We grew close. He said kids get everything in Will. He VERBALLY gave me everything, including cash, in the house and insisted I live there as long as I want. On paper he wrote statement that Executor should sign auto over to me. Executor is refusing all of the above. She took his gifted cash from my clothes dresser and moved my personal possessions onto driveway hours after death. I'm DEEPLY hurt! What are my rights?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tammy Lyn Wincott
Tammy Lyn Wincott
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • San Antonio, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: His will needs to be filed in a court in order to be valid. Depending on the paper statement the executor (not officially an executor until they go to court) may need to sign the auto over. If you weren't family in anyway, you're rights are limited; however, you may have a right to claim fees/expenses depending on type of care, etc.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.