Syracuse, NY asked in Family Law and Child Support for New York

Q: My child's mother is filing for modification of child support and a petition of violation of child support.

I stopped paying childcare costs after we made a mutually agreed upon written notarized agreement. I allowed her to leave the state in return that I did not have to start paying private daycare costs again. We live in NYS. Will this written agreement hold up on court?

She also is petitioning I pay back babysitter payments she made to her mother although she never informed me that she was doing so and never asked me to assist with those payments.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If the written agreement is in the proper form, it will hold up in court. If the agreement holds up, that is a defense to payment of babysitter costs from the time of the agreement. The fact that this was negotiated so that she could leave the state is helpful.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.