Chattanooga, TN asked in Child Support for Tennessee

Q: Can back child support take 50% of my Social Security Disability each month?

My ex- wife lives in another state. I live in TN, and support was ordered through TN. All my children have been 18 for more than 8 years. My wife does not need the money. I had a series of 4 strokes, after having failing health for many years. I am now totally disabled. I need that income to use for rehabilitation services that Medicare does not pay for. My Disability Income falls just under that line established by the Fed as improvised. Taking half my income takes my entire future, and leaves me with no hope of recovery.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul E. Tennison
Paul E. Tennison
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Can they? Yes, they are currently doing it now. Should they? That seems questionable based on the fact that the children are well above the age where support should be required. Although you stated it is back child support so that may be different.

I would encourage you to call the child support enforcement office and discuss your situation and if they can help. If they are unable to help, you may want to consider consulting with an attorney experienced in child support and social security. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.