Dallas, TX asked in Family Law for New York

Q: NY Family Law Magistrate Facts and Finding acerted Powers v Powers 86 NY2d 63, 68-69 [1995] case wrongly?

NY Magistrate used the above case to assert that respondent had income and willfully did not pay plaintiff. However, Respondent showed through tax returns and financial affidavits that he did not have the means to pay. As well, plaintiff and Respondent signed a contractual modification agreement with the understanding that respondent could not and may not be able to pay in the future. Also, Plaintiff could not take Respondent to court unless a prima Facie evidence can be found.

Magistrate ruled willfulness of non payment of child support.

Q: Are there case that support adherence to contractual law supersedes and by Plaintiff filing and bring as case against respondent, she is the one in default?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Your question does not have enough information to give a full and considered answer. In general, the burden is on the payor to prove that he does not have the ability to earn enough to make the required payments and the money that he does have is spent only on necessities. In other words, as an example, if you spend money on cablevision instead of paying support you are in contempt [cablevision is not a necessity].

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.