Green Valley, AZ asked in Family Law for Arizona

Q: Grandparenting rights/3rd party.

My daughter & 3yo granddaughter have lived with us for 10 mos in AZ & previously in CO for 16 mos. She left AZ abruptly 6/20/19 & is in Monroe LA. Granddaughter was thriving here & I am deeply heartbroken & concerned for the child's safety. Daughter has an open case w/ bio dad which is set for final orders 8/19/19 in EPC. Daughter is refusing to allow us to talk to grandchild. Need to get advice if CO will retain jurisdiction (no active parenting plan) & if we should petition to be added to current case or start new one in AZ. Have already met w/an attorney in AZ & was advised to talk to CO attorney as well.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Your granddaughter lived in Arizona for more than six months after leaving Colorado; Colorado will likely refuse to exercise jurisdiction. I cannot imagine the heartache you must feel having your granddaughter taken from your life in that way. I wish there was more that could be done for you but, unless you have evidence your daughter is abusing your granddaughter, you have very little chance of getting any assistance from the state. Courts will not interfere with parental rights absent a showing of an imminent, serious threat of harm to the child. Although you may have quite valid reasons to be concerned, your concern will not spur the Court to interfere with your daughter's parental rights.

The biological father could have a case for child abduction if your daughter took his child across state lines during a family court case without the father's consent.

As painful as I am sure it must be to be denied access to your grandchild, grandparents have few "rights" unless a child's parents prove themselves almost completely unfit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.