Wayne, NJ asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for New Jersey

Q: My ex GF gave her middle name instead of her first name in a police report. Is that a crime?

She showed me a knives in a verbal fight and threat me to call the police. I grabbed her hands and took the knives then she started to attacked me. when I was trying to dial the police number she runs out of the house yelling to call the police because I was hitting her. My t shirt was ripe, and I ended with a lot of scratches and bruises. The police arrested me for 4 hours, they did not take photos of me and did not made question to me or ask if there were witnesses. In her statement she gave her middle name and last name as her real name because she is filing immigration papers through her husband. she put me a restraint order and criminal charges. Does she can be punished for given a false name?

1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Yes it is a crime to give a police officer any law enforcement officer your incorrect name she should have given her first middle and last name not just her middle and last to make it like she is a different person. that being said if you were charged with a crime her being charged with one also will make no difference to your case except to her credibility if she testify s against you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.