Cedar Rapids, IA asked in Traffic Tickets for Missouri

Q: I received a red light camera citation in the mail seven months after the incident. What are my options?

I have an Iowa CDL and the violation occurred in Hannibal, Mo. I was able to see the video online and I did indeed run the red light, but since it was so long ago I don’t really remember doing it or what the driving/traffic conditions were like at the time. Since I was driving a heavy tractor trailer, it is likely that when the light turned yellow, I was probably past the point at which I could have stopped safely without risking a brake fire, cargo shift, rear end collision, etc. It does not indicate anywhere on the citation or in the video what my speed was.

I think charging me with a moving violation for this is a little unreasonable. I am ok with the $130 fine, but would like to know if this could be reduced to a non-moving violation.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrea Rogers
Andrea Rogers
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • St. Louis, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Yes, you can hire an attorney to get your Hannibal red light camera ticket amended from a 2-point moving violation to a no-point, no-moving infraction such as "Equipment Violation" or, for truck drivers with a CDL, the ticket can be amended to "Parking a Truck Longer Than 4 Hours."

The fine will be slightly higher than the original $130 amount that you would pay if you pleaded guilty as charged. The amount of the fine depends on your driving record and is higher for people who have a CDL.

An experienced traffic ticket lawyer can give you a price quote for how much they will charge to represent you and an estimate of the fine and court costs. You won't have to appear in court, and the Prosecutor will give you at least 30 days to pay the fine and court costs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.