Newburgh, NY asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for New York

Q: What are the rules for collecting child support from a father that is unemployed and does not collect unemployment.

There has never been a court order, child support and visitation was paid in mutually agreed upon manner and verbal agreement. Things have now gotten worse and he wishes to seek legal visitation/custody agreement but is afraid the mother will take him to court for child support arrears and claim that he has never supported the child. Being that he is not working, and there has never been a court order, can he be ordered to pay arrears, and since he is not able to, what legal actions can NYS take (Can he get arrested?) The child is 6 years old and he is listed on the Birth certificate as the father. Also, can the judge hold against him that there has never been a court order? They were never married.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: There can be no "back" child support without a court order of an agreement signed and notarized by both parents. Future child support can be ordered by a court and it can do so on his ability to earn not on what he is currently earning if at all.

Charles Oliver Wolff agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.