Houston, TX asked in Personal Injury, Estate Planning and Probate for Louisiana

Q: Can I reopen a case of my father's accidental death that my sister took place in and never included her other siblings?

She settled the case and brought us a check for $125 and said that's what the lawyer said we come out with, but we never once met up and talked with him for anything. Now my sister is living (Like The President) comfortably, with no explanation on how she's gotten all this money (Thousands/Millions) she's spending (On Building Houses and Buying Brand New Vehicles) and is said to believe that it's from our father's case that her attorney worked on. We need answers.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: I have no idea how long ago your father died, how long ago you got the check, in which parish the claim/suit occurred, whether it was fraudulently asserted there were no other heirs. You need to hire a civil attorney, answer many questions, for which you haven't supplied information, find out if you still have a remedy available and if you do, file suit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.