Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Tennessee

Q: As of 6/29/19 I will be a resident of TN for 6 months and need to have my custody case transferred.

Additionally, I need to see what can be done to hold my ex in contempt for not returning my son by the date/time he was supposed too, not allowing a family member to pick up my son and bring him to me on the date he was due back, not allowing him to speak to me while he was gone for 43 day (maybe spoke with him 8 times), the conditions of where my son was staying while with his Dad in Texas, and what to do about my ex harassing me. My son is 8 years old.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul E. Tennison
Paul E. Tennison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: From that description, you have a significant number of potential legal issues. I recommend you consult with a local family law attorney. You would need to transfer the case to Tennessee before you could file for contempt. Your easier route for the contempt action could be filing for contempt in the previous state, which I assume is Texas from the facts provided. This is a complicated situation, in my assessment, it would be worth considering the pros and cons of different possibilities then working with a family law attorney to take calculated actions to secure you the relief that you desire.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.