Asked in Probate for Kansas

Q: I was warded Guardianship/Conservatory for my 89 year old grandmother who recently passed away on May 3rd 2019.

I had done a quit claim deed prior to her passing on her house she owned. I am now trying to sell the home and Title company says I need Permission from the court to sell. Can I do an small estate affidavit less than $40,000 for the title of her home?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Lawrence, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: A small estates affidavit is for certain items of tangible and intangible personal property. A house and the land it occupies would be real property. The appointment of an administrator (no will) or executor (will) is necessary to effectuate a transfer of a decedent's real property. If there is no will, it is also possible to wait six months from the date of death and complete a determination of descent (one petition, one order) to complete a transfer of the real property at that time. If an estate is not opened promptly, it is imporant to assure that the house insurance remains in place.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.