Manistee, MI asked in Estate Planning for Michigan

Q: in michigan can we be forced to sell my deceased mothers house to pay her old car loan debt due to probate

my sister lives in the house and we dont want to sell it

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Howell, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: This depends a lot on how the accounts and home ownership were structured. However, you probably can't be 'forced' to sell an asset unless you neglect to follow through with things such that there is a judgment entered against the estate and there are no other assets in the estate.

The BEST option is to seek local representation to insure you resolve this properly and preserve as much of the estate as possible. I assume the old car has been repossessed? It may already be a bit late to try to structure this, but the only way to know for sure is to seek the advice of a local probate attorney. Don't delay.

-- This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.