Indianapolis, IN asked in Family Law for Indiana

Q: My 12 year old no longer wants his father to have parenting time, does he have any options?

My son hates being forced to go to his father's house. They fight often, and due to different parenting styles they are VERY strict. They ration his food and wont give him his medication while he is there. He has a sorted legal history and has even had supervised visitations at one time with my son. My son keeps saying when he turns 13 (this month) that he wont go to his father's anymore unless he chooses. I am not sure what options there are for this situation. Please help!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Mario Acosta Jr.
John Mario Acosta Jr.
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Based on the information provided in your question and your current situation your son does not have the option to choose until he is 18. There is a statute that allows for his input with the court at 14, the courts look for what is in the best interest of the child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.