Sierra Vista, AZ asked in Criminal Law for New Jersey

Q: Under Criminal Code 2C:28-3(B)1, is this act considered a Disorderly Persons Charge or a Felony Level Crime?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: It can be either based on what was said and done. Thus a person commits a crime of the fourth degree if he makes a written false statement which he does not believe to be true, on or pursuant to a form bearing notice, authorized by law, to the effect that false statements made therein are punishable. And in general A person commits a disorderly persons offense if, with purpose to mislead a public servant in performing his function etc, etc. Either way get yourself a good lawyer these are serious charges which lead to up to 18 months or 180 days in jail either of which is generally not a good thing to have. Most of us criminal lawyers offer a free in office consultation, I suggest that you set one up asap as the more time a lawyer has to work on the case the more that lawyer can do to help minimize the penalties you may receive.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.