Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Florida

Q: My dog was given away without my consent 2 years ago - I have been trying to get her back but they refuse - can I sue?

I bought my dog in 2008 and she lived with my wife and I from 2008-2015. My wife and I split up but on good terms and I left her with my wife to look after her when I had to go to england for medical care in 2016 In 2017 when i returned she had given the dog to her boyfriends dad without my permission or consent behind my back. The dad has refused to return her from 2017 to present and still has my dog and won’t return her. My wife agrees I should have her back and wants me to get her back- if she just takes her back and hands her over to me against his will, would she be breaking the law? Is the dog still legally mine?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes, you can sue for replevin (return of personal property). If your ex simply took the dog from her boyfriend's dad, that wouldn't be breaking the law and probably wouldn't be prosecuted criminally, assuming she can prove it belongs to you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.