Compton, CA asked in Family Law for Arizona

Q: My ex of 13 yrs and father of 2 children never married. He moved out 2 mo ago.So far hes only given me $50 on groceries

He wants the kids 50% of the time starting aug 1st to avoid child support. I also just lost my job a wk ago. I need help with school uniform, kids shoes, and my daughters braces $100/mo plus groceries for my kiddos. Before we broke up I was the one who always provided for them which is why I decided to kick him out. He makes $16/hr and is temporarily living in a hotel. Can I still get child support?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: You likely can if you are willing to put in the work. I would recommend visiting to find the forms and guidance you will need to petition the Court for a child support order if filing in Arizona. If you are filing in California, you will need to look for California resources but the process will be similar. Where you file will depend on where the children reside unless there is a pre-existing order for custody or support. Depending on your income level, you may qualify for a pro bono attorney. You should check into it. Look for either "legal aid" or "legal services" and you should be able to find an agency who offers assistance to low income mothers seeking to obtain or enforce child support orders.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.