Tulsa, OK asked in Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: Once my husband gets an DNA can we sign his rights away?

Back in 2016 my husband and I split for 3 monthso and while that time he MAY have gotten this women pregnant. Her boyfriend signed the birth certificate already. 1.5 years later I was getting bullied by her and her two friends saying this child is my husbands. She wants to go after him for child support. Can she?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Doak Willis
Doak Willis
  • Tahlequah, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: She can try. Depending upon what her boyfriend signed and the lapse of time and whether they lived together and the boyfriend held the child out as his own are all facts that must be explored to determine whether she would be successful or not. As to signing his rights away, there is no such provision to do that short of an adoption.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.