Chicago, IL asked in Criminal Law for Indiana

Q: Can my sister counter-sue her ex-boyfriends girlfriend.

So on 7/19/18 my sister had told her ex boyfriend that she was coming over to his and his girlfriends house. She got to the house knocked a few times and left. Went around the block and noticed he was in the yard. She pulled up and his current girlfriend came out accusing her of trying to break into her house so she called the cops and filled a report and my sister was arrested yesterday. But was let out with bond. She has court tomorrow. Can she countersue her for falsly accusing a break in which she did not. She also had her 7 year old daughter with her at the time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Rather than worrying about counter suing at this point, it sounds like she needs to consult with an attorney regarding her own arrest. If it is shown through her case there was false allegations, then she may have a case for malicious prosecution.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.