Edmond, OK asked in Family Law and Child Support for Oklahoma

Q: Can I owe back child support even if I'm paid up due to a recent increase in payment because salary raise?

I am paid up on child support, did not owe any back child support. Recently received letter stating my payment was to increase. I did not contest this as my wages have gone up recently, but now they are saying I owe $3000 in back support. Why is this? Are they going back to when I first got the new job and adding more to the amount I had paid? That doesn't seem fair.??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Doak Willis
Doak Willis
  • Tahlequah, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: The Court cannot go back to the point you received a salary increase unless that was the same date the motion to modify your child support was filed. In other words, the date of filing for the modification will be the date that your income from that date forward will be used to calculate your new child support payment. Therefore, depending on how long it was from the initial filing for the increase until the date the Judge signs the new order, you may owe some back due support if more under the guidelines.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.