Clarksville, TN asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Tennessee

Q: My husband and I were told the lawyer has dissolved the account, and forgot to write out our beneficiary check .

All of a sudden we were told the investment account was dissolved, we were named in a will but the account is dissolved, so what do we do now, we're confused as to why he forgot to issue our check left by the deceased.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Apparently you have no idea what is going on. Initially you need to examine the Probate File at Court, to see what is happening . The Will may or may not have been Probated. Then you may need a competent attorney to inquire of the Executor where your money is. The Estate may not be closed yet and distributions may not have been made yet. Or it may have been insolvent, which in my opinion means it should never have been Probated in the first place. If the Estate is closed, you can move to reopen. Good Luck !!!

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.