Bon Aqua, TN asked in Probate for Tennessee

Q: My step mother passed away and she had 20k in stocks

My father passed away before he had it settled in court she has a grown son whom she had a restraining order against up until she passed and i don't know who is intittled to the stocks now would it be me since everything went to him and then when he passed i was his only hier I'm lost please help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Under Tennessee inheritance law, if a person dies without a will, their surviving spouse AND the children share whatever the deceased owned. Sounds like you own half ( the half your father inherited) and the son owns the other half. However, you don't specifiy whether your father had a will, and his half is subject to whatever his will provides- consult an experience probate lawyer to complete the administration of both estates.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.