Saint Augustine, FL asked in Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: My roommate is trying to start & escalate arguments.

I believe our roommate is trying to make my fiance mad enough to hit him so he can have my fiance arrested. We've started looking for a new place immediately but are stuck in this hostile environment until we can move. What would you suggest we do about our roommate's hostility to protect ourselves until we can remove ourselves from this situation?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You must have noticed by now that it always takes at least two humans to start a fight, argue or anything else.

IMO, the best way to stop anyone from unwanted teasing, yelling, picking a fight or any other similar bad behavior is simply walk away without responding to them. It is sometimes effective to say: "Regardless of what you say, or do, I am not going to pay any more attention to you." Then walk away. Sooner or later the obnoxious person will get tired of trying to pick a fight with you and move on to someone else.

Charles M. Baron agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Your question does not seem to be one for a lawyer, but rather one for some kind of mental health counselor. If I'm understanding your concern correctly, it sounds like you are looking for some way to ensure that your fiance won't fly off the handle and commit a crime against your roommate due to be being provoked by verbal abuse. If I'm not correct in my understanding, I suggest you re-phrase your inquiry.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.