Raleigh, NC asked in Criminal Law for Indiana

Q: I live in NC and got an underage alcohol ticket at the 500. How do I avoid my court appearance and clear my record?

I am 20 years old with a clean record and don't want to drive from NC to Indiana to go to court.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: You will be ordered to appear in court and must appear for your Initial Hearing or a warrant for your arrest will be issued. However, because this case is a misdemeanor, if you hire a local attorney, he/she should enter on your behalf and waive the initial hearing so you would not have to be present. Depending on the policies of the particular court, the attorney should be able to negotiate the case without you having to return to Indiana.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.