Memphis, TN asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Tennessee

Q: My husband passed away but inherited land in MS. Is it legal for my step kids to sell it & cut me out? WasMarried 23 yrs

I cared for my husband through 8 years of Alzhiemers, he didn’t leave a will, but I was his POA. Step kids are trying to also take a portion of my house in Tennessee. Step daughter made herself executer of my husband estate ,even when I told her he had nothing subject to probate. Now his brother sold inherited land in Mississippi and didn’t offer me a dime. His children got his portion .Although I’m disabled and struggling to keep my house. How can I find out about the sale, and is this legal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Your heirship intestate succession rights should be governed by Tennessee Law, which is very similar Nation wide. You probably need a competent Mississippi attorney to represent you, a long time ago. File an Affidavit of Heirship in Shelby County Register of Deeds and start using it. You have sit on your rights and you will lose them this way.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.