Jacksonville, FL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: Can a landlord request more money to replace carpet than the original installation cost?

My former landlord replaced our carpet halfway through our three year lease tenure. He is now requesting money in addition to our $1325 deposit to replace the carpet. The amount he is requesting is significantly more than what it cost to originally install the carpet a year and a half ago. They plan to sell the townhome so I believe they are taking advantage of me to upgrade their carpets for a higher resale price. What are my rights against him? How do I notify and/or prove to him that what he is trying to do is unjust?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Wow. This is the first time I have ever heard of any landlord replacing the carpet during the lease period--unless the carpet needed to be replaced because of something the tenant did. If that is what happened then the landlord should be entitled to recover the actual cost of replacing the carpet--either out of your $1,325 security deposit or by asking you to pay it outside of the lease terms; why? Because the damage was done by you and your family.

If the landlord replaced the carpet during the lease period because he was trying to sell it 18 months ago, that would change the end result here, i.e., the landlord should not expect you to pay for something he voluntarily did for reasons other than having to.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.