Oak Lawn, IL asked in Immigration Law for Illinois

Q: I came in F1 visa and I violated the visa and now i wanna if marry a citizen girl that my violation will effect ?

Does my violation will prevent me to get my citizenship or they will punish me in any process in the future? Will they prevent my citizenship?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Stephen Arnold Black

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL

A: If a person enters the US legally, and overstays his/her visa and then marries an American citizen, that person can adjust status to obtain a green card, despite the visa overstay. The issue as to "violating your visa" needs more clarification. Call counsel to discuss.

Kevin L Dixler

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: I agree. There may be other things that you have done that may affect whether you can become a conditional permanent resident. These violations may seem petty to some, but they are the law.

As a result, I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before there are any other complications. Good luck.

The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.