Bronx, NY asked in Divorce and Family Law for New York

Q: I have a finalized divorced from Bronx County Court, may I move to NJ without going through court?

I am the custodial parent and child resides with me and has resided with me since separation. House address is 17 miles away.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: The answer to that question depends on what your Judgment of Divorce says and what is in your Stipulation of Settlement. Most often there is a radius clause in agreements that specify how far you can move. In most cases, this precludes a move to another state. The best way to be sure that you won't have to go back to court with the possibility that the court orders you to move back to NY is to get a notarized statement from the non-custodial parent giving you permission to move to NJ.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.