Midville, GA asked in Child Custody for Georgia

Q: How do I get permanent custody of a child that I have had since March 2016? I’m now listed as the “Legal Custodian”.

March 2016 I was a “Safety Resource” for a child whom I still have today. I was granted custody in December 2016 and I’m listed as his “Legal Custodian”. This was held in Juvenile court, as the DFAC’s had removed the child. The child was removed from the biological mothers custody and the biological father was incarcerated until May 2019. The Father ended up passing away the 28th of June. As we had hoped the father and child would be reunited, it only lasted a short while and custody was not/could not be given to the father due to lack of being able to provide care and stability until some time. Now that the father has passed away and the mother is still not involved, what should I do to get permanent custody of the said child? FYI, I do not receive any support and have not since the beginning. Could the biological mothers paternal rights be taken without the child being adopted?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You need to speak with a family law attorney about filing for full custody. Custody cases are difficult as it is, but much more so when a non-biological parent is attempting to obtain custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.