Asked in Consumer Law, International Law and Small Claims

Q: Can I take a person to court in Florida for money owed even though I live overseas?

I paid for a training service that never went ahead and was told I would get a refund. There was difficulty in communication not going through to me to receive my refund and after a year I stopped getting any replies. I only know their business address. Is it possible to take them court without physically being in the US ? If so and I get judgment is there a way to enforce it? The amount was approx. $3000 USD

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar

A: It can depend on the terms of the agreement you entered. Check to see if it has any type of forum selection clause or other restriction as to where disputes are to be adjudicated, or if it contains a mandatory arbitration clause that precludes remedies in civil court or small claims court. You could also show the agreement to a Florida attorney and ask them to evaluate it as to whether they could represent you in a Florida court. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.