El Centro, CA asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for California

Q: My employer has drastically lowered my hourly rate for the second time without warning. Said payroll made a "Mistake"

I have copies of pay stubs and four months ago I negotiated a raise for myself since my company had took over operations where I live and the pay was here locally was higher. I was countered with a better rate and now four months later it is now a "mistake." No effort will be made by employer California labor law states I need to be informed of a pay decrease in writing before the work is started. I was told about this mistake after the pay period when I notified my manager. Now my negotiated raise is a mistake.

1 Lawyer Answer
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You should go to the Labor Commissioner's website and file a wage claim. Start by cutting and pasting the link into your browser here: https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/HowToFileWageClaim.htm

Follow through with that process. The Labor Commissioner's job is to make sure all employees get the wages they were promised before they started work. That office will help you. Do not delay, because time is of the essence. In addition to that, you can search for an employment attorney at the California Employment Attorneys Association's website. Members of that organization know how to make sure you get paid at the rate you were promised, and also know how to use the law to get their fees paid by your employer if your story checks out. Whenever an employer cheats an employee out of wages, the law will compel them to pay all wages, plus any penalties which may accrue, plus interest on the past due wages. Save all your pay stubs and use them as evidence to support your claims.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.