Berlin, MD asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Maryland

Q: My mom and stepdad were never married but purchased a home in both names with rights to survivors , mom dies, he never

Goes through probate so both names are still on deed. He’s getting remarried, the house was always to go to us kids if something happens to him. Is this new marriage going to change this?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Mark Oakley

  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: By law, the house is solely his, regardless of whether he retitles it into his sole name. If he dies without a will, his stepchildren (unless legally adopted) will not inherit any part of his estate. The only way you as stepchildren can inherit property of his estate is if he drafts a will and specifically names you to receive something. As for his future wife, if she survives him and is not happy with what he has left for her in his will, she has the right to exercise her statutory election and take one-third of his estate, regardless of how his Will reads, which means other heirs or persons entitled to receive property under his estate end up having their shares reduced by the elective share of the surviving spouse. Finally, if your stepfather sells the house or adds his new wife’s name to the house as joint owner, then the house will never become part of his estate subject to distribution regardless of what his will says.

Cedulie Renee Laumann and Richard Sternberg agree with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Richard Sternberg

  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Potomac, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: It would be wise to have counsel review the deed and run a title search, because laypeople often are mistaken in their understanding of joint tenancy with rights of survivorship (JTWROS). But, if the property was truly JTWROS, it passed outside of probate to your mother's significant other (who is not your step-father as far as the law is concerned). The property belongs solely to him, and you have no interest in it unless he wills it to you and his new wife does not assert spousal share against it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.