Royal Oak, MI asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Michigan

Q: A non-attorney in my neighborhood has been advertising her services to draft estate documents

She's offering what I believe to be legal advice. I specifically asked her if she was a lawyer and she said no, and is offering what I believe to be legal advice. Should she be drafting estate documents as a non-lawyer? In her exact words she "has been producing wills, powers of attorney, medical powers of attorney and several other types of legal documents." Can a non-attorney in Michigan draft all of these documents? If not, who should I contact so my neighbors don't waste their money?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Nina Whitehurst

  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: Contact the State Bar of Michigan at (517) 346-6300.

Kenneth V Zichi agrees with this answer

Trent Harris

  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Jackson, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: While merely offering fill-in do-it-yourself forms might not be the practice of law in Michigan, if someone who is a non-attorney fills them out for someone else, or tells a person how to fill them in, that would be the unauthorized practice of law. What you are describing sounds like the latter. See MCL 600.916. See also MCL 450.681. Unauthorized practice of law in Michigan is a crime.

If you believe this is what your neighbor is doing is unauthorized practice of law, you might want to visit the State Bar of Michigan's unauthorized practice of law website for more information.

You can also file a complaint using the form at, and you can contact the State Bar of Michigan's unauthorized practice of law counsel at: Katherine S. Gardner, UPL Counsel, (517) 346-6305,

Kenneth V Zichi agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.