San Antonio, TX asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Criminal Law for Texas

Q: If ones appeal was affirmed by TX COA, can he refile as Pro Se, he no longer has a court appointed attorney?

Court appointed attorney never contacted defendant, only when COA came back as affirmed defendant was notified. This is a Sexual Assualt case of a minor. Where defendant received 50 years no DNA on 1 count of aggravated sexual assault and 3 counts of indecency.

1 Lawyer Answer
Roy Lee Warren
Roy Lee Warren
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • San Marcos, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I am sorry for your troubles. Yes he can proceed pro se. But it would be best to seek legal help from one of the legal agencies. I will post the websites for those that assist people on criminal cases.

Google "Thurgood Marshall School of Law Innocence Project" (TMSLIP).

This project is run by the Earl Carl Institute at Texas Southern University's Thurgood Marshall School of Law. This project provides legal services to convicted individuals claiming innocence in the State of Texas. To apply for services, inmates apply for services by completing a TPIQ in a prison library and mailing it to TMSLIP.

In addition legal help may be available through the State Bar of Texas and the "Texas Fair Defense Project".

The Texas Fair Defense Project states that their mission is "to fight for a criminal justice system that respects the rights of low-income Texans." They work to achieve this through advocacy, education, and strategic litigation.

Kiele Linroth Pace agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.