Metairie, LA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Louisiana

Q: Can my child's step father's income be supplemented for her mother's income if she isn't working?

At the time that my child support was set up my child's mother was not single and not working. After everything was finalized and we agreed on "co-domiciliary parents" she went off and got married. My lawyer said that if I wanted to later on down the road to try and get a reduction in child support that her husband's income can be supplemented for hers if she isn't working. I have work sheets of child support calculations with his income. Is this true in Louisiana?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: No it is not based on the step father's income. But income can be imputed to her from her last job and any benefit she drives from his income.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.