Lafayette, LA asked in Family Law for Louisiana

Q: The Mother of my child and I have never been to court to have custody/child support agreement.

We separated when our son was 3 due to her drug use. and he is almost 9. Half of the time he live with me and his step mom and half brother and sister in a nice environment home where he is very happy . The other half he lives with her mother and her mother boyfriend I’m in apartment. I know they are up to no good and my son hates it there . Her. Boyfriend has a criminal record and I have evidence of them being irresponsible, neglectful, and of possible criminal activity. CPS was investigation them but closed the case and did nothing. I fear for my child’s life every time he is in there custody. I feel like my hands are tied and I don’t have enough evidence to go for full custody. What should I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amir Tavakkoli
Amir Tavakkoli

A: If you are concerned about their safety then you should file for full custody asap and let the court determine if you have enough evidence. One of the common mistakes people make is seeing issues with the other parent regarding the children and not doing anything about it; then when they do go to court eventually and complain about it, they hear the following response from the judge: "If these issues were so serious in your mind, why didn't you do anything."

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.