Oakland, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: Would an expunged "Minor in Possession" of alcohol misdemeanor record be grounds for denying US citizenship?

I received a minor in possession misdemeanor back in college 20 years ago in California and the record was expunged after paying the fine and completing an alcohol education class. Would this be grounds for denying citizenship? (Assuming I state the expunged record on my application). I have been a permanent resident for 30 years.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: Minor in possession is not a ground of deportability. Twenty years is far outside of the time you must show good moral character (5 years). This should not impact your citizenship case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.