Madison, MS asked in Criminal Law for Mississippi

Q: I have a question

Ok if the person that pressed the charges don’t show up what happens

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William Jaksa
William Jaksa
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Toronto

A: There are many considerations... how was their evidence recorded? are they the only witness? were they properly subpoenaed? why are they not showing up? how serious are the charges? is there a possibility that they will be able to attend court on a different date?

Generally speaking, if the person that pressed the charges is not interested in participating in the prosecution then the Prosecutor needs to assess if they are moving forward with the case. You'll find that most prosecutors on minor charges when faced with witnesses that are reluctant to move forward with the case, will offer a sweet plea deal or withdraw the charges. This is, of course, depends on the prosecutor, the seriousness of the charges, and other variables. There is no hard and fast answer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.