Hastings, MI asked in Child Support for Michigan

Q: My fiancé is paying support for a child that isn’t his but he signed the birth certificate. How can he stop payments?

The mother knows the child isn’t his and has moved to another state when the child was a baby. It’s been 10yrs. Will identifying paternity be enough to stop/close child support case and payments. Will she owe him for all the money that she has taken?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Once your fiance signed the birth certificate (and I presume acknowledgment of paternity), that's saying "I have no reason to dispute paternity". There is a legal mechanism to revoke paternity, but after 10 years, that would be some tough sledding. Further, once his name is on a birth certificate, it ceases to be the mother's problem to establish paternity or entitlement to child support. It's on your fiance to do something. Unless there is some evidence of significant fraud on the mother's part, she would not owe him money.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.